This was a wedding sermon preached over the weekend. Thought it would be a good reminder to us all who are married. After all, the relationship with our mate is the most important relationship we have on earth under God of course.
BIBLICAL REMINDERS OF YOUR NEW LIFE TOGETHER!
I want to remind you of several God given principles for your marriage:
- Marriage is the first institute ordained of God.
Gen 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
This verse teaches us 3 things:
- There is a leaving – leaving one family and starting another. A leaving not a forsaking. Never leave parents’ wisdom, love and counsel.
- There is a cleaving – clinging to one another. No one or no thing will get between you two.
- There is an oneness – tremendous intimacy that God brings into your lives.
- One of the most important biblical principles concerning marriage is that your life together is to:
- To be an object lesson to the world around you of Christ’s love for the church.
- To be an illustration of the life-transforming power of the gospel.
Gospel is found in I Cor. 15:3 … that Christ died for our sins according to the Scripture and that he was buried and He was raised on the third day according to Scripture.
Only as a person recognizes that he or she is a sinner and asks Christ to come into their lives and forgive them will they become born-again.
Christianity is not a religion. It is not being a Baptist, Catholic, Brethren, Methodist, Evangelical, etc. It is a personal one on one relationship with Jesus Christ.
- God gives certain commands to the husband and wife in Eph. 5:22-33.
To the wife God says you are to submit, respect and help your husband.
Not that you become a passive robot or an object that your Husband uses. You must realize that God expects you to have as your major priority next to God your husband; to love and respect Him seeking to glorify the Lord in unity.
To the husband God says you are to love, sanctify, nourish and honor your wife.
Your love and leadership are to protect and surround your wife with an unending sense of security.
To the husband God says that your wife is to be the most important person in your life, next to God. She under God is to be your priority.
This kind of love that God expects from both Bride and Groom is a way of life proven by action not just words.
Remember there are no ifs – no conditions to these God – given commands. He does not desire a 50-50 proposition but a 100% obedience to His word by each of you.
Only as you submit yourself to the indwelling Holy Spirit will you be able to consistently carry out these obligations.
AS YOU START YOUR NEW LIVE TOGETHER LET ME GIVE YOU 8 SUGGESTIONS TO BUILD A GOD HONORING MARRIAGE: (these suggestions are not original from me)
- Be a catalyst for agape love,
1 Cor 13:1-3 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.
Prov 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue:
Phil 2:3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
1 Cor 13:5 Love does not demand its own way…(NLT)
Eph 5:33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband
- Concentrate on romance
1 Cor 7:3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband.
Mal 2:16 “For I hate divorce!” says the LORD, the God of Israel. “It is as cruel as putting on a victim’s bloodstained coat,” says the LORD Almighty. “So guard yourself; always remain loyal to your wife.” (NLT)
- Conflict resolution – Walk in the Spirit
Galatians 5:22–23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
- Christ must be first!
Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
One last thing I want to remind you of:
To many marriage is but a contract between two people. Able to be broken if it doesn’t work out as expected.
I want to remind you of the seriousness of the vows you are to enter into. They are a Covenant not only between the two of you, but between you and the God of the Universe.
Listen to the differences between a contract and a covenant:
- A covenant is based on trust between two parties while a contract is based upon distrust.
- A covenant is based upon unlimited responsibilities, while a contract is based upon a limited liability.
- A covenant cannot be broken if new circumstances occur, while a contract can be voided by mutual consent.
Again, these are covenant unbreakable vows between each of you and your God.
May God bless our marriages and may we seek to glorify God as we love our mates.