February is the month of showing your Valentine’s love. This sounds kind of weird but in reality the church as Christ’s bride is His Valentine. His love for us, as the psalmists says over and over, is steadfast, (see Psalms 103 or 136). The genuine Christ-Follower’s relationship with God changed from The eternal Judge to The wonderful Heavenly Father, the Great Shepherd of our lives and soul. Believers are changed from the “domain of darkness and transferred to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in Whom we have the forgiveness of sin!” (Col. 1:13-14). We now are in His forever family. What great and awesome love The Father has for us, truly a love undeserving, but bestowed on those who have trusted Christ for their salvation.
God’s love for us is described in the giving of His Son for those who believe and nothing can be a better or higher description. In I Cor. 13:1-8 we have the varied definitions of Biblical love, a favorite at weddings. I personally believe this is not just a description of the attributes of love we are to be characterized by but this is also characteristic of God’s love for us.
Let’s refresh our memories of I Cor. 13:1-8 and be what God has commanded us to be – people that love like Christ loves! My dear friends it is time that we lay aside all ungodliness and be loving to those around us. Love is one of the greatest HALLMARKS of Christianity! In fact those around us will know we are Christ’s disciple by the way we love each other, (John 13:34-35). We must stop the stinking thinking and treating people poorly and start loving through the enabling power of the indwelling Holy Spirit.
- Transforms how we treat people 4-6:
- Patient – We are able to hold our tempers
- Kind – We will be kind and gentle
- Envy – We will not be jealous
- Boast – We will not be a wind bag
- Arrogant – We will not put ourselves above others
- Rude – We will have good manners
- Demanding – We will not demand our own ways
- Irritable – We will not get frustrated easily
- Resentful – We will be forgiving
- Glad for wrong doing – We will not be glad at others sin
- We will gladly seek after truth
- Transforms our attitude towards people, 7.
- Bear all things – We will have a protective spirit
- Believes all things – We will assume the best and not be judgmental
- Hopes all things – We will have a positive outlook
- Endures all things – We will persevere through hard times
- Absolute necessity of God’s love, 1-4
- Love never fails